Monday, February 6, 2012

Cosplay survey!

Since this has been floating around FB, and since I am also a cosplayer as well as a geek....


1 . Your first cosplay?
Vengeance, who was an original Homunculus character based in the Fullmetal Alchemist anime. I will never be reviving that one, since I kept getting compared to Ozzy Osbourne, and since I really didn't look that good....

2. How many costumes have you done?
Eight


3. Your most recent cosplay?
original character, based on Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts 2.

4. Your favorite cosplay?
Tied between Alfons Heidrich and Transformers Animated Arcee

5. The character you have cosplayed that is most similar to you (if none that you have cosplayed, then one that you will cosplay)?
TFA Arcee.

6. Your cosplay plans for the rest of the year (if you have no more for this year, then do next year!)
Genderswapped Wash, Deckerd from Brave Police J-Decker, Transformers Animated Megatron, Drill Boy from Brave Police J-Decker, Drill Silver from Brave of Gold Goldran, and quite possibly Vexen from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, if I get my coat fixed in time....

7. The dream cosplay that might just happen?
Midnight Express from Transformers: Robots in Disguise

8. The dream cosplay that will never happen?
Well, if I had done this survey two years ago, my answer would have been Midnight Express from Transformers: Robots in Disguise.... but I've learned a lot, and I feel confident that I will be able to build him.

9. Something cosplay-related that you will never do (eg. crossplay, cosplay from a certain series).
I will never do a cosplay to cater to a fanboy's fantasies. If I cosplay, it's for me.

10. Your cosplay idol?
My friends in the East Coast Cosplayers. They're all awesome cosplayers, and incredibly nice and wonderful people.

11. Your cosplay specialty (ie. something that seems to apply to a large amount of your cosplays, it could be a specific series, or a common feature in their appearance, such as glasses).
Giant robots. :3


12. Your cosplay-making habits (eg. singing while working on cosplay):
I reference the hell out of anything I'm doing. As many angles as I can find, and a whole mess of screencaps, as well as official art. Then I start drafting out patterns, or eying stuff in thrift stores....

13. Your least favourite thing about cosplay?
That there are people who think it's okay to mock someone's attempt at cosplaying, and that for awhile, I was part of that group. I need an occasional kick in the ass to remind me that that behavior is unacceptable in the cosplay world.

14. Do you belong to any cosplay groups?
Yes. I belong to the East Coast Cosplayers, Midwest Middles division, unofficial member of the Mandalorian Mercs, and unofficial member of the GIJOE cosplay group dedicated to the A Real American Hero series. My old cosplay group, The Order of the Red Glove, has been kinda dead for about two years now, but I'll still have a red glove on me as a tribute to them.

15. What events have you cosplayed to? Future event plans?
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2005, 2006, 2007. Anime Central 2006. SogenCon 2007. Anime Nebraskon 2010, 2011. BotCon 2011.

Future plans include Acen 2012, SavCon 1, and Anime Nebraskon 2012.


16. What is your best cosplay memory?
.....Does it have to be in costume, or can it be at a cosplay panel? 'cause if I can do the cosplay panel thing, the one I went to at BotCon. 'Cause it made me realize that my ideas are not unobtainable, and that it is possible for me to build one of my dream cosplays.

17. What is your worst cosplay memory?
Bending over to get something out of the trunk of my car, and having my skirt split at the back seam. Thank Deities that I was wearing an overskirt.

18. Have you won any cosplay awards?
Not yet, but I really don't compete.

19. Your best cosplay derp photo?
....I don't have one of those.

20. Have you worn cosplay in a regular situation?
Only bits and pieces of my steampunk outfit, 'cause it looks nice.

21. Your most expensive cosplay?
Organization XIII coat. $50 for the material, plus odds and ends.

22. Your most comfortable cosplay and most uncomfortable cosplay?
Most comfortable: Tie between Vector Prime Steampunk and Alfons Heidrich. Most uncomfortable: Organization XIII coat, 'cause the damn thing's so heavy.

23. The cosplay you put the most effort into?
Current WIPs.

24. Any unfinished costumes? Will you ever finish them?
...yes. Yes I will finish them, too.

25. How many wigs do you own? Which is your favorite?
Three. Favorite one is my short, frosted blond wig. When I wear that one, it looks natural, so it's funny to take it off and watch people react with "...I thought that was your real hair!"

26. Where do you work on your cosplays and where do you store them when they’re done?
I mainly work on my cosplays in the basement, since that's where my 'workshop' is. I store them wherever I can, but most end up in my bedroom....

27. What is your favorite cosplay item?
...I don't really think I have one....

28. Cosplay peeves/things you are particular about?
I'm very detail-oriented. I want the costume to be as accurate as possible, since that means that there's less for the judgmental jerks out there to nitpick on.

29. Something you want to improve on for future cosplays?
I would love to expand my sewing skills, so I can make costumes the way I want them. Puff sleeves are EVIL.

30. Cosplay-related work you are most naturally talented at (ie: sewing, prop-making, wigstyling, etc)?

Putting together a costume armor piece just from eyeballing reference pictures. Without a pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I encourage friendly discussions and debates, anything that shows signs of dissolving into a flamewar will be deleted.