Friday, August 26, 2011

Changes and New Beginnings

Thoughts on Changes and New Beginnings
As I stated in my first entry, I am going to be starting school on the 25th of this month. As I sit and write this, I have fifteen days till my first day of classes, and only nine days till Orientation, where I will be getting the tools to access my school stuff online, as well as learning where everything is on the campus.  This will be the first time in four years that I start at a school. I am a mix of excited and nervous.  Already this year, I have taken huge steps towards making changes in my life, hopefully for the better.  

In the space of eight months, I have gone from having no idea what I was going to do with my life, to deciding that I wanted to go after my dream of being an interpretur/translator.  I realized around February that I wanted to do this through one of the branches of the military.  I spent the next several weeks trying to find out as much as I could about each branch's Linguistics program, and eventually decided on the Air Force. 

In March, I started walking to the post office and back, which is roughly two miles round-trip.  I decided to do this, not only because I wanted to lose weight, but also because going to the post office each day to check for mail gave me a reason to get out of the house.  I went from just over 220 lbs to my current weight of 204.5 in a matter of weeks.  I am still working on getting down to 180, but given the heat and humidity, I have found it hard to motivate myself to get out of the house as of late.  Despite how icky August weather is, I'm still going to walk to and from school each day.

Another big change I've recently gone through is that I got my hair cut in a bob style.  I have never had my hair in that style, and it's been four years since I had short hair.  I have a friend, who I will hopefully be visiting soon, who has said she will cry when she sees me, since she has seen me with both short and long hair, and prefers longer hair on me.  Part of the reason I did such a drastic change was because of my cousin's wedding in July, part of it was so I wouldn't be as reluctant to cut it short when I went into the Air Force, and part of it was the need to jump-start a major change.

I figure, since the best way to get positive things is to make the effort to make positive changes in one's life, I might as well do major changes and see what comes of those changes.  So far, I've found that since I am making the effort to make positive changes, I have been rewarded with positive things happening.  Granted, I have had my share of difficulties, some of which I will more than likely speculate on at a later date, but so far, things have been going pretty well in the positive things department.
Posted at 8/10/2010 2:50:15 am by AutobotDen

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I encourage friendly discussions and debates, anything that shows signs of dissolving into a flamewar will be deleted.