Sunday, October 9, 2011

Black Phoenix Achemy Lab Imp Reviews: AL-SHAIRAN, THE DEEP ONES

Today's BPAL Review is: AL-SHAIRAN

BPAL says AL-SHAIRAN is:  The enemy of God, also named Iblis, He Who Despaired of the Mercy of God. Al-Shairan is the leader of the Jinn, a tempter who whispers false suggestions to men enticing them into evil and perfidious acts, and is the sworn enemy of all of Adam's children. His scent is fiery, bright and thick with sweet sinfulness: clove, peach and orange with cinnamon, patchouli and dark incense notes.

AL-SHAIRAN
-In bottle:  Definitely getting incense and cinnamon in this one... The incense is almost overpowering, in fact.  It's not a pleasant note, to my nose.  There's another note that is very unpleasant to me, which may be the patchouli. I'll have to see how this scent reacts on me, but I strongly suspect it won't be pleasant.
-Wet:  The cinnamon notes have faded a bit, but the incense is still there, as is a clove note.... And a slight hint of orange... Not really smelling the peach.... I'm not too wild about this one on... we'll have to see how it goes when it's dry.....
-Dry:  The scent has mellowed out... and I actually like it now.  It's warm, and actually pretty nice... reminds me of fall, and bonfires with a nice cup of pumpkin pie cappuccino.  I am getting a very faint hint of peach, but most of what I'm getting is cinnamon, cloves, maybe patchouli (I've never smelled patchouli by itself, so I have NO idea what to compare it to), and a bit of incense.
-Overall impression:  The in-bottle tone kind of put me off at first, but I was too quick to judge... This one is going in my tin of imps I want a full decant of.  It's strong in the bottle, but it mellows out nicely.

And since AL-SHAIRAN wore off, random selection turned up THE DEEP ONES.

BPAL says THE DEEP ONES is:  I think their predominant colour was a greyish-green, though they had white bellies. They were mostly shiny and slippery, but the ridges of their backs were scaly. Their forms vaguely suggested the anthropoid, while their heads were the heads of fish, with prodigious bulging eyes that never closed. At the sides of their necks were palpitating gills, and their long paws were webbed. They hopped irregularly, sometimes on two legs and sometimes on four. I was somehow glad that they had no more than four limbs. Their croaking, baying voices, clearly used for articulate speech, held all the dark shades of expression which their staring faces lacked.

Black algae, drooping seaweed, salty brine, and crushed coral.

Den says THE DEEP ONES is: THE DEEP ONES
-In bottle:  Hmm... This one's intriguing, but at the same time, I'm not quite sure what's going on with this scent... odds are, it'll really come out to play once I put it on. Getting a sweetness that I can't ID properly....
-Wet:  I'm not really getting a 'brine' note with this one... I am getting algae though, and a sweet-ish note.... I'm guessing that's supposed to be the coral... Definitely getting a little of a seaweed note too... I was right about it coming out to play when putting it on....  though there seems to be a note that reminds me of soap... I know what salt water smells like, though I do wonder if the soap smell is the 'salty brine'.
-Dry:  Still not getting the brine note, which could be due to any number of things.... Still getting algae and seaweed....
-Overall impression:  This scent seems innocent enough, but then the algae and seaweed creep up, like creatures rising from the depths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I encourage friendly discussions and debates, anything that shows signs of dissolving into a flamewar will be deleted.