College Experience Reflective Journal Entry #20 and 22 Oct 08, 10
1. MY PERSONAL RULES FOR SUCCESS IN COLLEGE AND IN LIFE:
1. I will show up on time.
2. I will put more than passable effort into all of my work.
3. I will participate actively.
4. I will not let anyone bully me.
5. I will go for my dreams.
6. I will accept myself for who I am, flaws and imperfections included.
7. I will focus on what I want for myself, not what others want for me.
8. I will work on my Graphic Design Portfolio regularly.
2. My thoughts and feelings about my rules:
My most important rules are that I will not let anyone bully me, I will go for my dreams, and I will focus on what I want for myself and not what others want for me. These rules are important to me because in the past, I allowed people to bully me, I let myself be pushed towards things that I did not want for myself, and I was miserable as a result. The experiences I have had that give additional value to these rules are that I was bullied all through school as a child, pre-teen, and teenager. I was scared to go for what I wanted because I put value in what my parents wanted for me, when I should have been focusing more on what I wanted, and paying attention to what I really was after. The rule that I will have the easiest time with is that I will show up on time. I make an effort to show up at least ten minutes before anything important is set to begin, because I made a choice years ago to do my best to not be late for anything. The rule that I will have the most challenge keeping is that I will not let anyone bully me. This will be a challenge for me because I have self-esteem issues, but I'm working on changing that.